There are several categories of membership in the community:
Member households are families and individuals who own and live in their units permanently. People on the waiting list have completed the requirements for membership and are waiting to buy houses as they become available.
Renters are temporary residents, living in the homes of member households. Renters can choose to become associate members.
Steps for getting on the Waiting List to purchase a home in the Pioneer Valley Cohousing Community
1. Read the welcome package material
Our community agreement document may seem long, but it gives a good idea about how we work and what is important to us. We ask that you put in the time to educate yourself before contacting us.
New Members Agreement
2. Arrange a community tour.
Call John Porcino at 413 549-5448 to arrange a community tour.
3. Get to know us better
After reading the welcome package material, email us email@example.com to let us know that you are interested in moving forward. The next steps are:
Attend a community meal
In your email, mention when you want to attend a meal and a member of the community will accompany you. The community member will announce at the opening circle of the dinner that you will be available during and after the meal of an informal “get-to-know-you” meeting.
Attend a Full Circle meeting (see dates below)
In your email, mention when you want to attend and a member of the community will accompany you to the meeting. Attending a meeting is a good way to get to know how we work together. Since we make decisions by Dynamic Governance, it is important to us that you understand what that means and feels like. It is necessary that all adult members of a household attend at least one meeting.
Attend an orientation meeting
The purpose of this meeting is to make sure that you know everything you can about our community: the way we live, and what we expect from each other before you make any commitment. It is an opportunity for you to ask questions and get to know us better. A member of the community will contact you to set up this meeting, typically after you have been to dinner and a Full Circle meeting. At your orientation meeting, you will be given a copy of the waiting list agreement.
4. Acceptance into the Waiting List
If, after attending the orientation meeting, the full circle meeting, and the community meal, you want to ask to be placed on the waiting list, send the following to Robin Luberoff at 110 Pulpit Hill Road, Amherst, MA 01002:
- A signed copy of the waiting list agreement
- A letter to the community indicating a desire to be on the waiting list, and
- A check for $500 made out to Robin Luberoff Trust Account. This deposit is completely refundable if, at any time, you decide to leave the waiting list.
5. Your written request for addition to the waiting list will be posted in the common house after you have completed the above steps. If any community member has concerns about your potential membership they are supposed to talk directly with you, and/or talk with the Membership Committee. Assuming all concerns are resolved, you will be welcomed unto the waiting list at the next Full Circle Meeting.
6. Welcome to Pioneer Valley Cohousing! You will be officially welcomed at the first possible opportunity-a meeting or a meal or both. Although this may look long and complicated, people have found it to be fun and a good way to get more involved with our community. If any part of this list will be hard for you to do, just let us know and we will work something out. The intent of it all is to make sure you know us and we know you so that you will be happy here.
7. When a home is for sale, you will be notified by email. If a member of the community wants to buy the house, they have first option. Then their house would become available and you would be notified by email once again.
Full Circle Meeting Dates
Sunday Jan 26, 2020, 9:30-12:30
Monday February 24, 2020, 7-9pm
Sunday March 15, 2020, 2-5pm
Tuesday April 14, 2020, 7-9pm
Monday May 18, 2020, 7-9pm
Tuesday June 16, 2020, 7-9pm
Saturday July 18, 2020, 2-5pm
Wednesday August 19, 2020, 7-9pm
Sunday September 20, 2020, 9:30-12:30
Saturday October 24, 2020, 9:30-12:30
November 13-15, 2020, RETREAT
Sunday December 13, 2020, 2-5pm